Tuesday 4 January 2011

Bishop Michael's health

Bishop Michael incensing the relics of St Therese of Lisieux at Walsingham, 2009
This last weekend, parishes in East Anglia received a letter from Bishop Michael, a health statement, which informed us that he may only have weeks to live.

We were greatly saddened to hear this news, and all the seminarians (who are presently within East Anglia on placement) will, of course, be joining with the rest of the diocese in prayer for our father, the Bishop, seeking the intercession of Our Lady of Walsingham, and St Felix, the first Apostle of East Anglia.

In his own words,


Rather than resign, I would like to continue among you as your bishop and the father of our diocesan family until this stage of my life ends. I do not know how long that will be. I am most grateful for the ways you have cared for and so prayerfully supported me in recent years. You remain very much in my thoughts and care. As I am sure you understand, I am able to do very little, and will need to rely on others. Please can I ask you to limit any expressions of care to prayer for now, rather than anything else to which I cannot respond.


As I live now under the shadow of death, my prayer is very much that of St Paul that I may know something of the power of Christ’s resurrection and a share in his sufferings, trusting that the Lord is with me. I pray that even now I can joyfully witness something of the good news we are all called to proclaim.

No comments: