Friday 29 March 2013

Holy Week


 
It was great for me to travel back to Norwich on Wednesday evening for the diocesan Chrism Mass. There was a full cathedral to welcome the Papal Nuncio who presided at the Mass. Fr David joked that since we had the Cardinal last year, and the Pope's representative this year, then if we don't have a bishop next year we should have the Pope preside! The Nuncio was very gracious and spoke about - among other things - the role of the bishop leading us in worship and contemplation of God. I enjoyed seeing parishioners from placements I've had, and the priests and deacons of the diocese. I was also privileged to bring up the Oil of Chrism with which I will be anointed on the day of my priestly ordination in July.

Now the Triduum is under way. Yesterday we celebrated the Mass of the Lord's Supper in the parish where I am placed, and this afternoon I will be assisting the priest in the celebration of the Lord's Passion. That means narrating the Passion narrative, singing the introduction to the Universal Prayers of the Faithful, and bringing in the Cross for verneration, singing "Behold the wood of the Cross, on which hung the salvation of the world." The whole congregation well sing in response, "Come let us adore!"
 
 

No comments: